Each year Big Sandy Area Community Action Program (BSACAP) distributes $7,000 in scholarships to students in the Floyd, Johnson, Martin, Magoffin, and Pike County area. This year, the nonprofit organization has changed up their offerings and has announced the creation of the Eula Hall Community Advocate Scholarship.
The Eula Hall Community Advocate Scholarship will be one $2,000 scholarship offered to students majoring in Social Work, Human Services, Public Services, or related fields. Applicants must be in at least their third year of post-secondary study, must have a record of volunteerism, and must fulfill the requirements of the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Scholarship application.
Eula Hall has lived her life as an advocate for the workers, children, and families of the region. She served with the Volunteers in Service to America, the Appalachian Volunteers, the East Kentucky Worker’s Rights Organization, and as president of the Kentucky Black Lung Association. She created the Mud Creek Water District, and in 1973, established the Mud Creek Clinic to serve uninsured and underinsured people. The Mud Creek Clinic, now known at the Eula Hall Health Center, offers general clinic care, pharmacy, dental care, optometry, mental health services, patient transportation, public benefits guidance, and a food pantry. She has served on the BSACAP Board of Directors for more than 35 years.
BSACAP Executive Director Mike Howell said, “Our organization wanted to thank Eula for the work she has done for Community Action and honor her for the leadership and care that she has given to the people in our area. We also want to see a new generation of strong advocates for eastern Kentucky rise up and continue the fight against poverty.”
BSACAP will also be offering ten $500 CSBG Academic Scholarship to students in the area.
If you are a student entering or returning to college or vocational school this fall and are in need of financial assistance, you may be eligible for the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Academic Scholarship.
Applicants must provide the following information and/or documentation to apply for the scholarship:
- Meet income eligibility as determined by the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Provide proof of residency within the BSACAP service area via utility bill or piece of first class mail postmarked within 30 days of application
- Complete and sign an application available at any BSACAP Community Services office
- Complete a Family Profile according to CSBG guidelines
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or GED
- Provide proof of cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better from last semester of high school or last completed semester of college
- Provide two letters of reference
- Provide proof of enrollment or acceptance in a post-secondary educational institution for the Fall 2017 semester/term
- Write an essay on why they feel they should receive the award
Applicants who have earned a 4-year degree or are pursuing education levels of Master’s Degree and above are not eligible. BSACAP staff and family members of staff are not eligible to apply.
For further information or to pick up an application, applicants may contact the Big Sandy Area Community Action Program Services Office in their county. Completed applications and required documentation must be received by mail no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 29, 2018. Scholarships will be awarded no later than July 31, 2018.
Office hours are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Office locations are as follows:
- Floyd County – 60 Court Street, Allen – (606) 874-3595
- Johnson County – Johnson County Court House, 230 Court Street, Paintsville – (606) 789-6515
- Magoffin County – 131 South Church Street, Salyersville – (606) 349-2217
- Martin County – Roy F. Collier Community Center, Suite 203, Inez – (606) 298-3217
- Pike County – 478 Town Mountain Road, Pikeville – (606) 432-2775
Scholarship funding is made possible by Community Services Block Grant with funds made available by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.