If you are a student entering or returning to college or vocational school this fall and are in need of financial assistance, you may be eligible for a cash scholarship provided by the Big Sandy Area Community Action Program with funding from the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG).
Applicants must provide the following information and/or documentation to apply for the scholarship:
- Meet income eligibility as determined by the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Provide proof of residency within the BSACAP service area via utility bill or piece of first class mail postmarked within 30 days of application
- Complete and sign an application available at any BSACAP Community Services office
- Complete a Family Profile according to CSBG guidelines
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or GED
- Provide proof of cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better from last semester of high school or last completed semester of college
- Provide two letters of reference
- Provide proof of enrollment or acceptance in a post-secondary educational institution for the Fall 2017 semester/term
- Write an essay on why they feel they should receive the award
Applicants who have earned a 4-year degree or are pursuing education levels of Master’s Degree and above are not eligible. BSACAP staff and family members of staff are not eligible to apply.
For further information or to pick up an application, applicants may contact the Big Sandy Area Community Action Program Services Office in their county. Completed applications and required documentation must be received by mail no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 30, 2017. Scholarships will be awarded no later than July 31, 2017.
Office hours are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Office locations are as follows:
- Floyd County – 60 Court Street, Allen – (606) 874-3595
- Johnson County – Johnson County Court House, 230 Court Street, Paintsville – (606) 789-6515
- Magoffin County – 131 South Church Street, Salyersville – (606) 349-2217
- Martin County – Roy F. Collier Community Center, Suite 203, Inez – (606) 298-3217
- Pike County – 478 Town Mountain Road, Pikeville – (606) 432-2775
Scholarship funding is made possible by Community Services Block Grant with funds made available by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.